https://www.oandolaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Depositphotos_165973008_xl-2015-scaled.jpg 1695 2560 O'Bryan and O'Bryan Law https://www.oandolaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/OBryan_and_OBryan-Lg.png O'Bryan and O'Bryan Law2022-06-10 19:06:472022-10-12 18:03:35What is Elder Law?
What is Elder Law?
Thanks to people now living longer, Elder Law is a relatively new, specialized area of law that serves the needs of the elderly; the disabled; and their families. The three major categories of Elder Law are:
- Estate planning and administration.
- Guardianship; conservatorship and commitment issues.
- Medicaid, disability; and other long-term care issues.
So, an Elder Law attorney can assist with:
- Wills and estate planning, including planning for minors or adults with special needs, and probate proceedings.
- Creating a durable power of attorney (POA).
- Healthcare issues, such as long term care options; patient rights; Medicare; and healthcare POA.
- Financial matters, such as durable financial POA; housing options; and income, estate, and gift tax matters.
- Guardianship matters, including selecting and appointing a legal guardian.
- Locating long-term care facilities and managing assisted living costs.
- Explaining nursing home resident rights and filing nursing home claims.
- Drafting a living will or other advance directives, including a durable POA and long term planning documents.
So, if you are a senior citizen or have an elderly loved one who needs legal assistance, consider hiring an Elder Law attorney.